While homeowners don’t often think twice about their foundation, the strength and structural integrity of their home depends on it. Without a solid foundation, it is unlikely that the house will last through the tests of time. Carrying the weight of the entire structure, if the foundation begins to crack or weaken, not only is the property at risk and the value negatively impacted, but the safety of the residents is put into jeopardy as well.
At American Structure Inc., we specialize in foundation repair in Little Rock for properties, commercial and residential, of all shapes and sizes, no matter what year it was built. Our foundation specialists are committed to protecting your home or business at prices that you can afford. With over 75 years of combined experience in the industry, we have seen it all, and are prepared for whatever structural repair is required.
It’s important to know how to spot warning signs that the foundation of your building is in need of repair, because if there is one thing you need to know, it’s that once your foundation experiences problems, it only gets worse. Let’s take a look through some common issues that foundations encounter, tips to identifying the problem, and methods of foundation repair that we provide.
What Causes Problems in the Foundation?
There can be several components causing issues to your foundation, but majority of these seem to have one common root problem, the soil. When the soil experiences an excess of water, whether due to rain or leaking pipes, it will swell. When there is too little moisture, the soil will shrink. Continuous shifting and movement of the foundation results in cracks, and other damage.
Proper drainage is key when avoiding foundation problems. If your property doesn’t have gutters or the water is not guided in the correct direction, the soil under the house will become oversaturated, causing it to expand and apply pressure to the foundation, leading to damage over time. Not only this, but incorrect drainage can lead to standing water, soil erosion, bug infestation, and mold. Lucky for you, we’re also experts in drainage services!
We have also witnessed a trend in the properties that we’re called to for our foundation repair services, and that is, a lot of the time we’re just repairing the poor work done by other, less qualified contractors. Surprisingly, many construction service companies focus on completing a job as quickly as possible, not caring if the work is done correctly. At American Structure Inc., were ensure to get the job done, the first time, and are committed to complete customer satisfaction.
Common Foundation Issues
As stated above, the most common causes of problems within the foundation are related to the soil and its collection of water or lack thereof, or improper installation from other contractors. These lead to an array of issues that affect your entire home or business’ structure. Here are just a few of the issues that will arise:
- Cracks and Fractures- It seems rather obvious, but if you notice cracks or fractures in your foundation, floors, walls, or exterior, it is more than likely that your foundation is undergoing damage. When the foundation of your home experiences pressure from the soil, it will shift, causing these cracks. Tiny cracks in the foundation are common after a few years, but if you notice horizontal or 45-degree angled cracks, you better give us a call.
- Uneven Floors- Specifically with pier and beam foundations, if you begin to notice that your floors don’t seem to be level, or appear to be dipping, this is a strong warning sign that your foundation is experiencing damage. Over time, this problem will only get worse, so it’s important not to ignore it.
- Sinking – Another, hopefully, obvious cause of concern is if your structure appears to be sinking into the ground. If one side of the house seems to be lower than the other, or the center of the building is dipping, don’t hesitate to call us.
- Doors and Windows– Another clue to look out for when determining if your foundation needs repair is if you begin to notice that there are gaps around your window frames or doors, or they don’t close properly, this could mean that your foundation is settling and experiencing foundation failure.
If you see any of these warning signs, or would just like to get your foundation inspected to ensure that it’s not experiencing any initial problems that could lead to more damage, don’t hesitate to contact us. First, we will identify and settling, cracks, and failures and figure out what is causing these issues. We will then begin the process of repairing your foundation. Our foundation repair services include (but are not limited to):
- Floor Leveling
- Pier and Beam Foundation Reconstruction
- Foundation Stabilization
- Foundation Failure Prevention Systems
- Poly Foam Injection
- And More
American Structure Inc.
At American Structure Inc., our goal is to provide the residents of Arkansas with quality structural solutions. We are dedicated to getting the job done efficiently, with no need for us to return. We strive for 100% customer satisfaction, and to provide the best quality work possible. Beyond foundation repair, we also provide drainage services, waterproofing, crawl space solutions, as well as being a full-service concrete company. No matter what problems your residential or commercial property is experiencing, we’ve got you covered. Contact us today for a free estimate.